$199,000 US Make offer
The owner bought this boat in 2008
General condition and any additional information
We have found that the sail plan works very well for us for both extended long-distance cruising and quick little sails. We love the centerline queen aft birth with private shower, and head. Our friends and family that have stayed on board, enjoy the privacy of the separate accommodations, which has a sliding door to make it private. There are 2 heads, both with showers. The beautiful inlaid teak table comfortably seats 8 when unfolded.
The center cockpit gives a remarkably smooth ride being. All controls and lines are run to the cockpit. There is a full enclosure made with premium Strataglas and screens. The Sunbrella Plus fabric makes year-round sailing comfortable. There are 2 large overhead windows to view the sail.
There are nearly new form-fitting custom cockpit cushions made with Sunbrella mesh and closed-cell polyurethane foam for durable and comfortable seating. The cockpit also has a foldable table and subdued lighting for entertaining at night. There are stereo speakers, and a remote to control the stereo that is in the salon, all making enterntaiment in the cockpit very enjoyable.
With a 53 draft and ICW friendly 63 bridge clearance makes it possible to go to many places that other boats of this class can only dream about. Little things, like a convenient sugar scoop (a stern platform) making dinghy access from the stern easy make cruising comfortable, and the stern fresh hot and cold water shower permits rinsing off on the stern platform.
The instruments are connected to a 14-inch touch screen 2015 Raymarine “e” class chartplotter running the latest version of Lighthouse software. It is networked to view and control all display on an I-pad anywhere in the boat. It integrates the High Definition color radar (45-mile range), AIS, depth and other sensors. It is connected to the state of the art hydraulic Raymarine autopilot, with new hydraulic pump. The new (2019) anemometer (wind speed) is visible to everyone in the cockpit.
The solid lead Sheal Keel is great because of its excellent performance and shallow draft. Its design makes it easy to back off a soft grounding (the keel rides up upon the mud, and not digging in like a fin or wing). The Sheal keel gives a major speed boost and permits modest healing under sail.
Anchoring is a snap with a 70+ lb Rocna anchor (33kg). The anchor is held by 200 ft of new ACCO G-4 HiTest 3/8” chain purchased 2018 with working load of 5,400 lb. The windlass gypsy pulls over 2000 lb and feeds the chain through a hawse pipe into a lower chain locker about 6 ft aft and below the bow for good weight balance. The windlass horn also permits pulling rode or other lines. The windlass is controlled by either a handheld remote at the bow or at the helm for single handling. The high power washdown is located adjacent to the windlass. There is also an second independent upper chain locker to deploy a second anchor with 50 ft of chain and 250 ft of rode.
The cutter rig is great for a wide range of sailing conditions, high wind/low wind/heavy seas/night sailing. With 2 headsails, your downwind performance is similar (or better) than with a spinnaker when sailing wing-to-wing-to-wing. The headsail is on an electric furler making headsail adjustments very easy, a huge advantage when sailing on overnight passages. All lines lead to the cockpit, making it unnecessary to go on deck when sailing at night or in inclement conditions.
The refrigeration can run indefinitely without shore power or running the engine, using the solar panels. I kept ice cream for multiple months on anchor at St Augustine, without shore power (I paid over $14,000 for the installed computer-controlled digital Sea Frost refrigeration with independent freezer and refrigeration). The condenser runs with water and/or air cooling for optimum efficiency. The refrigerator has both a top and front door with over 4 inches of insulation. The deep freezer is huge and well insulated.
The 4 burner gimballed stove with oven and broiler runs from 2 standard 20-pound propane tanks from an exterior locker, that can be exchanged at most convenience stores, Walmart, etc.
The Vitus bow thruster makes docking easy, and you always look like a pro when backing the boat into a slip.
The Autoprop gives great control and efficient motoring, while reduced drag under sail. The prop is self pitching giving an optimum pitch at every rpm and the blades rotate to give full thrust in reverse.
There are 2 independent air conditioning heat pumps that cool the aft cabin, and the rest of the boat.
At anchor, you can run the gen-set (8kw) which permits both of the air conditioning heat pumps to be run with the microwave and still have lots of power leftover for hairdryers, coffee machines, battery chargers, etc.
There are 4 house bank and 2 starting group 31XT lifeline AGM batteries connected to a Linksys battery control system that integrates the inverter and charger.
Tarantella is fast, with a PHRF (speed rating) of about 105, getting you from port to port quickly and able to outrun unexpected storms.
She is comfortable at sea, having a Brewer Comfort Ratio of well over 30 with the Sheal keel and center cockpit (extremely seaworthy and comfortable with rough seas).
We typically get 0.75 gals/hr cruising fuel consumption typically at 7-8 knots which are very efficient, and with the 2008 75 HP engine Yanmar diesel connected to the ultra efficient Autoprop, we can get through any seas or headwinds. The Yanmar has 2100 hr and the sensor displays are in the cockpit
The arch on the stern is great for holding three powerful solar panels and permits easy access to the dinghy on the stern. The arch also holds our satellite weather antenna which connects directly to the chart plotter with continuous weather overlays on the screen, It also holds a local weather station.
The hull is solid 17 layer layup with vinyl ester, the premier hull material used today, which is stable and has no blister possibility. The hull is over an inch thick and is insulated to keep it warm in winter, and cool in summer.
The deck does NOT have a teak surface, making it leak-free and easy to clean. The teak toe rail has a sealer that is easy to maintain and does not chip or fade, and may never need to be refinished.
I have not found a boat at multiple Annapolis, Chicago, or Newport RI boat shows that I like as well for single-handing and comfort for 1 or 2 couples. Having a Loyds of London ocean cruising vessel is great for safety offshore, even if you dont want to sail to Europe.
Tarantella is a 43ft center cockpit luxury Taswell Cutter with a stern arch, solar panels, bow thruster, full enclosure, 8 kW generator, and center-line queen berth and a separate cabin with roomy Pullman berth. She has a gourmet galley with outstanding digital separate Sea Frost deep freezer and refrigerator. She has all modern networked electronics with large touchscreen Chartplotter and integrated HD Radar and AIS. Woodwork and construction are outstanding and is the same as the multi-million dollar Nordhavn yachts, the original builder.
Headroom is typically over 6 and a half ft throughout the boat and storage capacity is incredible. The Full Sunbrella/Strata-Glass enclosure gives comfortable year-round sailing. Beautiful, first-class woodwork all professionally refurbished (2019). The floor is teak and holly varnished to a high gloss.
The all lead, 11,000 lb Sheel keel provides exceptional performance with only 5’3” draft. The ICW friendly 63.5 ft mast makes travel easy. The 2008 75 HP Yanmar diesel can get through any seas or headwinds. She is comfortable at sea, having a Brewer Comfort Ratio of well over 30. The Vetus Bow Thruster and electric headsail furler are controlled at the helm
The stern arch holds the dinghy, three powerful solar panels and weather antennas, and declutters the stern sugar scoop for easy access at sea.
All sail control lines and sheets lead to the cockpit. The electric winch handle makes all sail handling.
The centrally located galley provides minimum rocking at sea. The four-burner, gimballed force ten stove with oven and broiler is adjacent to a convent prep area. The front and top-loading refrigerator and huge deep freezer run by two new digital computer-controlled Sea Frost DC systems. They can keep ice cream and food stock frozen indefinitely at anchor with the high power solar panels on the stern arch, unattended.
Two zoned heat pumps provide independent air conditioning in the owners suite and the main cabin.
The stern arch holds the three powerful solar panels and permits easy access to the dinghy on the stern. The stern arch also carries a satellite weather antenna which connects directly to the chart plotter and a local weather station. The dinghy davits on the arch hold the AB dinghy and 20HP Suzuki fuel-injected motor.
The hull is solid 17 layer layup with vinyl ester, the premier hull material, and is 1 hich thick and insulated
The Cabin upholstery is a high-grade, custom Sunbrella upholstery fabric in a beautiful neutral color pattern, accented throughout the yacht. The cockpit has new custom made Sunbrella mesh closed cell cushions and a full enclosure for year-round sailing.
Extra gear included
AB Dinghy with aluminum hull (115 lb)
Suzuki 20 HP fuel injected 4 stroke (110 lb)
Rockna 33 anchor (75lb)
220 ft of new anchor chain
Stern arch with 3 solar panels and power control
AIS networked to the chart plotter and the rest of the boat
Wisker pole on mast track for easy deployment
FULL cockpit enclosure
New cockpit seat cushions with Sunbrella mesh and closed-cell polyurethane
folding self pitching Autoprop with full power in reverse
9KW Onan generator
Electric headsail furler
Electric winch for all self-tailing winches
Improvements to the hull, deck, rigging, engine, or interior
• Yanmar 4JH4TE Turbo Charged 75 HP Diesel Engine W/2100 Engine Hours
• Oil Pan Under Main Engine
• Onan 9KW Generator with 1500 hours. Sound enclosure for Generator
• Morningstar Power System Solar Controller for Solar Panels
• 3-Solar Panels over Stern arch 420 Watts
• Six 31XT Lifeline AGM Batteries:
• Xantrex Marine 30 130-Amp Charger/Inverter
• Link 2000R Battery Monitoring System
Bow Thruster and Power distribution
• Vetus 6HP Bow Thruster
• 3-Blade AutoProp Reversing Prop with full trust in reverse and self pitching for fuel economy
• PYI Dripless Shaft Seal
• 3-Fuel Raycor inline Filters
• Cruisair 16,000 BTU and 12,000 Heat Pump Air Conditioning Units with Digital Controllers
• Heavy Duty 130 Amp Super Heavy Duty Interchangeable Alternator
• Link 2000R Charger/Alternator Controllers,
• Morningstar solar power controller
• Stern crane
Tankage and Plumbing
• 113 Gallon Fuel,
• 200 Gallons Water In 4 SS Tanks
• 50 Gal FRP Reinforced Holding Tank W/Mascerators To Pump Overboard @ Sea
• 1-Rule 3500 Bilge Pump W/Pump Counter System •
• 1-Gusher Bilge Pump
• 2 Raritan heads
• 2-Shower Sump Pumps
• 1-external freshwater Inlet W/Quick Disconnect
• Switlik 6-Man Liferaft Mounted in Cannister On Custom S.S. Rail Emergency Launch System
• EPIRB 406,
• SPOT Satellite receiver/transmitter
• Completely Grounded Boat
• Forespar Lightning Protection System
• Emergency Tiller
• Manual Bilge Pump In Cockpit
• Tri-Beam radar reflector (rated best by Practical Sailor_)
• Air Horn
• 3 Boat Hook
• Jack lines
• 4-Life Vests
• 2-Life Harnesses
• Sea Anchor
• AB 9’6” aluminum bottom dinghy with storage seat in the bow 2013
• Oversized Hypalon tubes
• 20hp 4 stroke Suzuki Outboard Engine
• Dual independent Sea Frost Fridge/Freezer Systems, with both air and water condenser cooling for energy-efficient digital controlled cooling.
• Top Loading lighted access to both refrigerator and freezer and front access to the refrigerator
• Louvered Storage Cabinets
• Ultra-bright LED bar lights with white and red operation and deck prism over stove
• 4-Burner Gimballed S.S. Force 10 Gimbaled Stove W/Oven and Broiler
• Xantrax Fireboy Propane Sensing System
• 2-Large, Extra Deep Polished Stainless Steel Sinks with hot and cold pressurized water
• Lighted Fridge/Freezer Compartments
• Temperature Gauges and Controls for each of the Refrigeration Systems
• Built-In Panasonic inverter Microwave
• 11 Gal. Stainless steel Hot Water Tank on electric and engine heat (New-2016)
Deck and Hull Equipment
Sails And Rigging
• Electric Genoa furler controlled at the helm with manual override
• Forespar Keel Stepped, Custom Mast and Boom
• Fully Battened Mainsail with three reefs
• Harken Batcars for easy Mainsail handling
• 135% Furling Genoa1-Furling Staysail on Roller Furling
• New Harken traveler
• Manual Forespar Vang w/Block and Tackle Adjustment System
• Spinnaker/Whisker Pole Mounted on Mast
• Double Spreaders
• 2 Flag Halyards
• Portable electric winch handle for all winches
• 2- Self Tailing Lewmar #58 Genoa Winches 2-Speed
• 2- Self Tailing Lewmar #40 Staysail Winches 2 Speed
• 1- Self Tailing Lewmar #44 Mainsail Winch 2 Speed
• 1- Self Tailing Lewmar #40 Staysail Halyard On Mast 2 Speed
• 1- Self Tailing Lewmar #48 Genoa Halyard On Mast 2 Speed
• 1 Lewmar topping lift winch on mast
Cockpit, Deck, and Hull
• Full Bimini enclosure with Sunbrella Plus fabric and huge StrataGlass windows with smiles frowns and screens in the StrataGlass
• Custom Edson Teak Wheel
• Teak Cockpit Grate
• 2-Large Overhead Bimini Windows To Enable Viewing of Sail Shape and Wind Vane
• Outboard Locker W/Space For 2-20#-Propane Tanks
• Highly Varnished Teak Dining Table in Cockpit
• Custom Closed Cell Cockpit Cushions with Sunbrella Mesh fabric
• Teak Toe Rail with Simco sealer, which will last for many years with minimal maintenance
• Integrated Hot and Cold Fresh Water, Shower Built into Swim Platform
• Custom S.S. Stern Posts
• Double Lifelines On S.S. Stanchions, From Mid-Ship, Forward
• 2-Opening Side Gates Amidships and bow and Stern Lifeline pelican latches for additional access.
• Over-sized Forward, Aft and Mid-ship Cleats
• Custom Handrails at Sugar scoop for easy Dingy access
• Custom Installed Dual Backstays
• Two heavy duty Stainless Steel Mast Pulpits (granny bars)
Mooring and Anchoring
• 2200 lb Electric Simpson Lawrence Anchor Windlass Custom
• Windlass Controls at Windlass and in Cockpit
• Double SS Anchor Bow Roller Assembly That Allows For Self-Launch Of Each Anchor
• 75# Rocna Anchor W new/200ft Acco 3/8 High Test Chain (2018)
• Deck and Anchor Washdown On the Bow
• Huge Fortress second anchor stowed in custom anchor bag
Autopilot, Radar/Sonar and Wind Systems
• 12 inch Touch screen, user-friendly, e125 color Raymarine chart plotter running the latest Networked Lighthouse software.
• Bow Thruster, Electric headsail furler controlled at the helm
• 1-Hydraulic Raymarine SPX 30 SmartPilot Course computer autopilot (2014)
• Raymarine Smart Pilot ST8002 Autopilot Controller in Cockpit
• 24 inch HD digital Raymarine 48 Mile Radome Raydar
• Raymarine SR100 Sirius Weather System with the antenna on the arch
• Raymarine ST60 Wind Speed/Wind Vane System (2019)
Navigation and networking
• e125 Raymarine 12 inch touchscreen Chartplotter at the helm, networked throughout the boat
• 24 inch HD Digital Radar dome networked throughout the boat
• Raymarine SmartController to control the helm anywhere in the boat.
• Navionics Charts For entire US and Bahamas
• Sea Talk Next Generation/NEMA 2000 networking
• Smart Pilot SBX 30 course computer with autopilot controller, and new hydraulic pump system
• Ritchie Globemaster Compass
• SIMRAD Smart Radio AIS Receiver with wireless remote networked to helm and throughout the boat
• Cooper Mesh Counterpoise Embedded Throughout The Hull For SSB
• Loud Hailer, Mast Mounted, Operated From Mic @ Helm or nav station